Should the Philadelphia Eagles Re-sign Jeremy Maclin? | Eagles Addict
Jeremy Maclin

Will Maclin return? Photo: Associated Press

Whether or not the Philadelphia Eagles re-sign WR Jeremy Maclin will be a hot topic once free agency begins.  The popular thought is that he will sign a one-year “prove it” deal and look to cash in next offseason if he can put up good numbers in Chip Kelly’s offense.

My initial thought is that’s exactly right: If Maclin re-signs for a year, he will definitely have to prove himself.

First, he now has torn the ACL in the same knee twice. Granted, they used a cadaver ligament to repair it the first time and then used his patella tendon to repair it the second time (which apparently makes a difference), he still tore the same ligament twice.

For a player whose impact will rely on speed and cutting ability, it’ll be a wait-and-see on how well his knee has recovered.

With that said, that’s not even the real reason I have mixed feelings about bringing him back.  There’s just something about his demeanor that I don’t particularly care for.

I’m not saying he’s a “bad guy” or anything of the nature.  It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while now and I can’t really put my finger on it.  There’s just something that bugs me about him and because of it, I can’t fully embrace him.

There’s no question he has produced some good games over his young career.  In addition, his yearly stat lines have been solid, if unspectacular.  His best season statistically was in 2010 when he caught 70 passes for 964 yards and 10 touchdowns.

While his stats resume shows that he’s been a consistent contributor, they don’t jump out at you.  Not even his best season raises an eyebrow.  He’s a solid receiver, but not a special one.

However, the Eagles don’t necessarily need a “special” receiver since DeSean Jackson fills that role.  Jackson may be small, but he has special ability with his speed and play-making skills.  Therefore, Maclin should serve as a good complimentary receiver.

With that said, here’s what bugs me…

It’s his mannerisms on the field.  If you’ve ever really watched him during games and on the practice fields, he has this slow, take-your-time strut back to the huddle.  He also has an annoying habit of looking for a penalty flag after every incomplete pass that comes his way.

Maclin also seems to limp off the field during games with a minor injury (but does return).  He does it often enough for me to take notice and mention it here.  If you remember Jevon Kearse, you know what I’m talking about with that.

Hell, he once injured his groin while celebrating a touchdown catch with a teammate.

It’s also the fact that he appears to avoid contact at times.  Here’s an article from 2012 that sums it up perfectly.  Though Maclin “laughed off” the notion he avoids contact, the proof is in the pudding!

I realize that’s easy for me to say, I’m not the one out there taking these hits.  But hey, that’s what he gets paid handsomely to do.

Maclin also earned the entertaining nickname of “self-tacklin’ Jeremy Maclin” (coined by Jimmy Kempski) due to his habit of going down early before contact is initiated.  He just seems to be the kind of receiver that goes down quickly after the catch, or catches a ton of passes as he’s going to the ground.

I’m not calling Maclin “soft” or think he’s a “wuss”, I’m just saying these are things that bother me about him…right, wrong, or indifferent.  It’s my perception of him and it’s why I have mixed feelings about him as a Philadelphia Eagle.

If he re-signs, one of the things he’ll have to do is prove his toughness.  Break a tackle once in a while or put a good lick on someone while blocking.  Actually, blocking will be an area where he will certainly have to prove himself to Kelly.

Kelly expects his receivers to be physical and be good blockers.  Jackson showed willingness and improvement this past season in this area and Riley Cooper is an excellent blocker.  Maclin will have to show the same ability if he wants to stay in Philly for the long term.

On one hand, I’ll be happy to see Maclin back in 2014.  It would be interesting to see what he and Jackson could do as a tandem in Kelly’s offense.  It would also lessen the need to spend significant resources on this position by way of an early draft pick or free agent pick-up.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t be disappointed if he didn’t re-sign.  His spot would be better filled with a bigger, more physical type of player with a higher upside.  To me, he just doesn’t bring anything to the table that isn’t relatively easily replaceable.

Ultimately, it’s not that I don’t want Maclin back, it’s more that I’m indifferent about whether or not he does come back.

On a side note, the market for Maclin should be interesting.  It’s possible that he could reunite with Andy Reid in Kansas City.  It’s also possible he could be lured up to New England for the chance to play with Tom Brady.

There are some receiver-needy teams out there who think they’re just a player or two away from a championship run.  Maclin could have multiple suitors, even with his status as coming off an injury.

At this point, taking a one-year deal with the Eagles seems like the odds-on favorite.  But, it’s far from a sure thing.

Category: Eagles Related

About the Author

16 Responses to Mixed Feelings On If Eagles Should Re-Sign Jeremy Maclin

1. Shareef says:

But you have no problem with Riley Cooper’s mannerisms? Like calling black people the n word. People kill me letting white athletes slide for their bad behavior but try to bury black athletes for comparatively nothing and I’m sick of it. Besides, Riley is nowhere near Jeremy.

• Hey Shareef, this article was about Maclin, not Cooper and nowhere did I say I didn’t have a problem with what Cooper did. But, if you want to go there, the difference between Cooper and Maclin is that what Cooper did was an ignorant, idiotic, and shameful thing. But, it was a one time thing that he showed great remorse for doing and handled it very well with his teammates by speaking to and apologizing to each and every person.

Other than that dumbass incident, Cooper has been a model player and teammate. He plays hard, makes plays, does what the coaches ask of him, stays healthy and hustles in between plays in the game and practice.

Maclin seems like a decent person…I have no problem with him in that way. My issues with him are what I described in the article, and they are constant things with him. I call it like I see it, and that’s how I see Maclin. But, notice I never said he was a “bad player”. He just has habits and mannerisms that bother me and ultimately I’m indifferent if he re-signs. I’ll think it’s good if he does, but won’t be bothered if he doesn’t.

And you know what kills me? People making everything about race! Football is football, the only color I see is GREEN!

• LouA says:

read ur comment, still carrying the red flag the sick part goes both ways man. give it a break. seems Riley with his blocking has it all over the Mac……IMHO
      go Eagles, let him go…..

2. Alexander Forest says:

Hey Dave,

I completely agree in that the topic of whether or not the Eagles will resign Jeremy Maclin is an intriguing one to say the least. Personally I’ve never quite viewed him as a soft or lackadaisical player, although I do feel like he hasn’t quite lived up to his potential. He doesn’t have ideal size, but it would be very interesting to see how he would perform in Chip Kelly’s “See-Coast Offense.” For that matter I would be a little disappointed to see him go elsewhere, although I wouldn’t be completely bummed out; After all, the Eagles’ offense did just fine without him. I actually think that resigning Riley Cooper should be a bigger priority over Maclin, due to his ever-growing rapport with Foles, but hopefully both players are back with the team next season. Regardless of whether or not both guys resign, I still think the Eagles need to add size at the WR position. Two guys that I really have my eye on are Jordan Mathews and Kelvin Benjamin. Although I do not want to go too off-course here… I do think that whether or not J-Mac is back in midnight green next season will be largely dependent on the FA market. If another team decides to take a flier on him and offer him a long-term deal(I agree in that the Chiefs would make a lot of sense), I don’t know if the Eagles would be willing to go out on a limb with such an offer when a one-year ‘prove-it’ deal would be ideal… This discussion should certainly prove to be a ‘hot topic’ between now and March 11. Great article and insight.

– Zander

• Thanks Zander! I agree in that I wouldn’t mind seeing Cooper back…now THAT will be interesting to see what kind of market there is for him.

Matthews and Benjamin are intriguing prospects, but if I had to pick one it would be Matthews. I love Benjamin’s size, but I think he might be more of a “project”. In any case, neither guy will likely be there by the time they pick in round 2, so that means they’d have to spend a first on one…which I’m not keen on since OLB and Safety are much bigger needs.

With that said, adding a potential stud WR is an exciting thought!

3. tval says:

Nice dave id like to see cooper back but no way im payn #1 money like u said market dictates that…now I wld take maclin back in this offense for cooper money no doubt…but I will say it and I did since I saw his first kick return..(running with his back and head straight up) dude is soft..good player but not a scrapper slot type since chip likes to move guys around..but chip does good job gettn guys in space and his speed alone creates doubt in defenses…and as the eagles addict fsu authority I agree kelvin may be project, think hes only played 4 years of fball…if youve seen the strides he made in one single year, going from 250lb possible te project to 230lb elite receiver who is uncoverable in red zone great hands and concentration..and dont sleep on mr dependable kenny shaw #81…mid round slot steal..catches everything and is tough

• “eagles addict fsu authority”…ha, love that tval! If the Eagles bring back both Maclin AND Cooper, we can all pretty much forget about any high-round WR. With that said, Benjamin could turn out to be a beast in a few years.

4. tval says:

But yeah I believe kelvin has highest ceiling of any wr or maybe player in the entire draft

5. Shareef says:

Well first of all Cooper made it about race by using the n word. Then you sublimely made it about race by saying you don’t like Maclin’s mannerisms. Those are code words for he don’t shuck and jive enough. Usually it is. It reminds me of the Richard Sherman situation. Now he’s a thug because he has dreads and yelled in a white woman’s face. Never mind his pedigree. My point is you guys need to stop with your double standards. If you’re gonna keep it up be honest about it and don’t expect everybody to be cool with it. And finally, If you think Cooper should stay and Maclin should go then I don’t believe you only see Green because Maclin gives philly a way better chance to win. Cooper is not even an average receiver.

• Shareef, man, I think you’re way off base here with your perception of where I’m coming from. How did I “sublimely” make this about race because I don’t like Maclin’s mannerisms? I described exactly what I don’t like about him. There’s no race involved, it’s how he is and I’m just saying I don’t care for it. That would go for anyone that acted the same way, white, black or whatever.

As far as comparing Cooper and Maclin as players, Maclin def has the edge in overall skill. But, Cooper brings different things to the table than what Maclin does. If Maclin didn’t tear his ACL twice and didn’t have those “mannerisms”, and didn’t seem to want to avoid contact, there’d be no question I’d want him back.

Are you saying you haven’t seen the same things in Maclin as I described? Or you just don’t care about those things? I like players who play tough, aren’t afraid to mix it up on the field and show hustle. I would never describe Maclin as “tough” whereas I’ve seen Cooper mix it up several times.

And again, it’s not a race thing. I bleed green and speak to what I feel about the team and any player or coach on it. I’ll have to write something up about Cooper…maybe you can check that out and then call me a racist ;)

• LouA says:

I think you have a losing argument here. the about race thing is NOT you at all
        he is way off base
        thanks

• Thanks Lou! I think some folks find it too easy to inject race into things where it has no business being. Maybe he’s just trying to rile me up! ;)

6. Mark says:

I would like to see the birds take a chance on adding Kenny Britt on the cheap.

• @Mark – Instead of retaining Maclin and/or Cooper? I’ll admit, Britt is intriguing but he would certainly come with questions.

7. Jay B says:

Hi Dave. I think we should bring Maclin back at fair market value. Here’s why:

He is a very good #2 receiver with speed and decent size

He has played in the slot and succeeded so even if we draft a big receiver or play Ertz more out wide, Maclin can stay on the field

Kelly will ensure that Maclin will put more effort on blocking. He did it with D. Jackson.

• Hey Jay, yeah I’m not opposed to bringing Maclin back and it’s not a bad idea to do so. I’ll need to see him in Chip’s offense for a year before I’d be ready to commit long term to him though.

• Twitter
  • RSS Feed
  • Facebook

News Around the NFL

Polls

Is this Eagles team good enough to contend for the Super Bowl?

View Results